A group of Christians began to worship in a Dawson Terrace cottage in the village at Easter 1891. As the fellowship grew, the meetings were held in the Shipwrights' Hall nearby. Then the present site was purchased for £75.oo, foundation stones were laid in May 1893, and the church was built by members and helpers, opening in August, three months later. The hall was added in 1923, and extended in the 1970s.
Originally known as the "Christian Lay Church", our name changed when we joined the Independent Methodist Connexion, and we have subsequently been part of the Sunderland Circuit of Independent Methodist Churches.
As a Church we recognise God as our Father, Jesus Christ as our Saviour, and the Holy Spirit as our Guide and Comforter.