The Independent Methodists have their roots in the eighteenth century revival. Their first churches came into being in the north-west of England and met together for the first time in 1806 at Manchester. Annual Meetings and exchange of preachers constituted the only tangible link between the churches for many years. Of the early leading figures, the most prominent was Peter Phillips of Warrington; he is generally regarded as the denomination’s founding father. By trade he was a chair maker, but as an unpaid minister and preacher he travelled a wide area of the country and was instrumental in the affiliation of many churches to the Connexion during a period of over 50 years.

Though some of the early churches used the title Independent Methodist, there were many other names: for example, Free Gospel Church, Christian Lay Church, Christian Brethren, Gospel Pilgrims and Quaker Methodists. It was not until 1898 that the Annual Meeting finally chose the name Independent Methodist.

In addition to their Wesleyan heritage, Quaker influence was prevalent among some early Independent Methodists, many of whom adopted the Quaker plainness of speech and dress. The absence of any distinction between clergy and laity in the denomination owes much to the Quaker view of church and ministry.

The ‘independent’ or ‘congregational’ concept of government, whereby the local church is autonomous of a central body and responsible for its own affairs, also played a part in the formation of the denomination.
During the nineteenth century, the denomination expanded, though mainly remaining in the North of England. Its churches were often located in industrial areas amongst the poorest of the population. They became very active in education, temperance work and the relief of poverty.

Today, though the denomination is smaller than it once was, many churches continue to have a vigorous witness in the communities where they are found. Often they are involved with other churches in local evangelistic work and some have sent out missionaries to serve overseas
During the 2005 Bi-Centenary Annual Meeting of the Independent Methodist Churches a new history of the Denomination was launched. Written by John Dolan this work is the definitive history of the Denomination and its churches from the turmoil of the Napoleonic wars right up to the twenty-first century.

ARCHIVES

The archives are housed at the Resource Centre and can be used to trace many aspects of the history of the Connexion and individual churches. They are also of value to family historians.
An number of churches store their records in the Archives. This ensures their safety and still allows the churches in question to access them when needed. Minute books, account books, completed baptism, marriage and membership records, together with items such as old photographs and memorabilia are catalogued and stored in a way that ensures that items can be found easily.

Visits to the Archives can be arranged through Andrew Rigby, Connexional Services Manager - 01942 223526.

Enquiries should be directed to the Archivist, John Dolan
Tel: 01925 486380.





Information with kind permission of the Independent Methodist Churches
About the Independent Methodist Connexion